Let’s face it, planning a wedding can be stressful. There’s so many people, places, and things to research, buy, and track! When Kelly and I were planning our southwest Florida (Sanibel Island) destination wedding, we found it hard to find accessories and decorations that fit with our location and theme. If you’re planning a beach wedding or destination wedding as well, you are probably running into the same issue! Fortunately for you, Kelly and I have done a lot of the work for you!!
|Our Destination Wedding Cake|
The wedding cake – arguably one of the most important purchases you’ll make for your destination wedding reception. Not only is it dessert, but it sets the tone for your reception’s decorative style and can help contribute to the overall tone of your reception (formal, fun, whimsical, etc). While wedding cakes can come in an infinite combination of designs and flavors, it’s important that you do your homework and make sure to ask lots of questions of your cake designer and bakery. To help with this, we’ve gathered some of the questions we thought most pertinent when we went hunting for the perfect cake for our wedding.
If you’re curious, we ended up having our cake (shown to the right) made by Mason’s Bakery. The chose a 3-tier, buttercream-iced white cake with white chocolate accents and a combination of two fillings: white chocolate with fresh strawberries, and raspberry chambourd. We also had them create our wedding favors – “dusted” white chocolate starfish, bagged with brown sugar “sand.” We highly recommend them!
- Is the date of your wedding available?
- How are cakes priced? (some will go “by the slice”, and others “by headcount”)
- What is the minimum price?
- Does the price vary based on the flavor(s) chosen and/or design?
- Is there a delivery/setup fee?
- What happens if the cake is damaged during delivery?
- Can the cake be delivered at a specific time, or will it be delivered during an arbitrary time-frame (i.e. “sometime between 1PM and 3PM)?
- Will they provide a written quote with details of the design, flavors, delivery time, etc?
- Will the bakery decorate the cake table as well? For instance, can they add “sand” to the table?
- Does the bakery provide and/or rent cake toppers, cake-cutting utensils, stands, etc? What are the fees for these items?
- How far in advance should you order your cake?
- Is there a deposit required and when is the deposit due?
- When is the final payment due?
- What is the refund policy if you’re not happy with the cake and/or need to cancel your order?
- What is the refund/credit policy if the cake is damaged during delivery transit?
- How long has the bakery and/or cake designer been in business?
- How many wedding cakes have they done in the past year?
- Do they have a list of recommendations and/or pictures of cakes they’ve recently done?
- Did they design and make all the cakes personally? If you like a particular cake in the portfolio, who designed and made the cake?
- Do they have any design specialties? For example, the bakery we chose (Mason’s Bakery) specialized in creating a “fondant look” on a buttercream-iced cake without the use of fondant!
- Can the bakery custom design a cake to match your decorative theme and/or color scheme?
- If you don’t have a clear idea of the type of cake you’d like, can the bakery and/or designer give you some suggestions that will fit your budget?
- If you provide a picture of a cake you like, can the bakery match it? In our case, Mason’s created our cake based on a photo we found. We still altered the photo to make it “ours,” particularly in our use of chocolate seahorses as our cake topper instead of an actual cake topper.
- What are the cake, filling, and icing flavor options?
- Are there any particular combinations that are popular and/or seasonal favorites?
- Can the bakery make recommendations on flavors that may clash (particularly if you’re doing multiple tiers and/or looking for something to compliment the various flavors in your dinner selections).
- Will the bakery allow cake tastings?
- Is there a charge?
- How many flavors are you allowed to taste?
- Will the bakery preserve your top tier (and/or make you a new one at your 1-year anniversary)? In our case, Mason’s Bakery will re-make our top tier free-of-charge at our 1-year anniversary!
- Can the bakery make “Groom’s cakes?”
- What is the pricing and flavors?
- How far in advance of the wedding will the cake be made? You don’t want it made too far in advance or it will dry out!
|Our Wedding Favors!|
- The bakery can help you with more than just your wedding cake! Kelly and I were big into helping make our wedding/reception unique and very “us.” As we both like chocolate, we found in our discussions with Chris at Mason’s Bakery that he could create our wedding favors! Rather than ordering some useless trinket from the Internet, we had Mason’s create white chocolate starfish (shown to the right). Mason’s also did all the work for us: coloring, bagging, and tying. We thought they looked awesome, and they were definitely tasty!
- Meet your cake designer in person! When we met with Chris at Mason’s Bakery, we were able to tell him what we liked in his design portfolio, and talk him through the designs we had already found online. This allowed him to start drawing the design of our cake on-the-spot, and within a half hour we had the entire design hammered out to what you see as the finished product above! I couldn’t imagine it being that easy if we were doing it over the phone!
- Try as many flavors as possible! We had NO CLUE what to expect from our tasting. We knew we wanted to stay “light and citrus,” so with some help from one of Chris’s coworkers we narrowed the flavors down to the following before we arrived: raspberry chambourd, white chocolate strawberry, kiwi/strawberry, orange cream, and lemon zest. Prior to the tasting we were leaning towards orange and lemon, but changed our mind based on the tasting as the raspberry and strawberry flavors were “lighter” and more to our preferences!
Anything to Add?
I’ve been scouring the Internet looking for ideas for our beach wedding cake. I’ve managed to stumble on a few beach theme wedding cakes which seemed worthwhile. They’re all a little different, but they capture much of the what I consider the “beach” factor you’d expect at a Florida beach wedding. Check them out!
NOTE: If you happen to be a bakery and would like your beach theme wedding cakes displayed here, feel free to contact me! I’d be more than happy to add your artwork (with appropriate reference) to the display below!
Just in case the links eventually break, I’ve included most of the images for the beach theme wedding cakes I’ve referenced! Hopefully this will give you plenty of inspiration!
NOTE: The images of these cakes are copyright to their original owners, as linked below. If you enjoy these fabulous pieces of edible artwork, do drop by the links below and leave a comment with the original poster!
- SandCastle & Shells: http://www.thegenerouscook.com/images/products/l-wed-sandcastle.jpg
- SandCastle: http://www.lindascakery.com/sandcastle1.jpg
- Seahorses & Coral: http://www.weddingandcakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/seahorse-wedding-cakes.jpg
- Coral, shells, seahorses, and bubbles: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3913/beachweddingcake01.jpg
- Topper: http://flourishweddings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2008/09/011293.jpg
- Orange Ribbon & Shells: http://www.reception-wedding.com/beach%20wedding%20cake%20shan.jpg
- White w/ Shells & Sand: http://www.a-beach-wedding.com/images/megs_beach_cake.jpg
- Guava/Blue: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/470366011_e7e97aba8a.jpg
- White w/ Shells & Starfish: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa21/mzzmodiva/Pastel-sea-shell-cake3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/f131/local-cake-vendor-ocho-rios-37445/&usg=__K5T9GgVWx059_jHL6EoWuX72wdk=&h=351&w=263&sz=52&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=RqN8uF71UDU12M:&tbnh=168&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddestination%2Bwedding%2Bcake%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D867%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C324&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=538&vpy=306&dur=766&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=98&ty=99&ei=BYdRTKeCHoSglAehrdTPBA&page=1&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:0&biw=1280&bih=867
- Shells: http://www.reception-wedding.com/shell%20wedding%20cake.jpg
- Shells & Flowers: http://www.reception-wedding.com/tropical%20beach%20wedding%20cake.jpg
- Suitcases: http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/DebbiesRedandGoldSuitcases.jpg
- SandCastle: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/ronnieronjon/DisneyCakes/DestinationCastleCake-FallColors.jpg
- Chairs & Shells: http://www.shorechic.com/images/wedding-cake-toppers/acacctop.jpg
- Happily Ever After: http://www.atlantabridal.com/articles/princess-castle-theme-wedding/cake2.jpg
- Shells & Coral: http://www.weddingandcakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/coral-wedding-cakes-2.jpg
- Shells w/ strawberries and white chocolate: http://starfishpatisserie.com/wp-content/gallery/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-2.jpg
- SeaTurtles & Waves: http://www.brides.com/images/editorial/2009_bridescom/summer_cakes/00_main/017_primary.jpg
- Airbrushed Blue w/ Shells & Coral: http://www.cakechannel.com/images/wedding-cake-picture-207.jpg
- Palm Trees and Flowers: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_L4IsFR3LmxQ/Sm-dsg4R3QI/AAAAAAAAAOg/3X65cwm5zIY/s400/tropical+cake+2+%282%29.jpg
- Seashell Cake with Braiding: http://budgetdreams.files.wordpress.com/2006/06/seashellcake.jpg
- Suitcase: http://pics.gallery.weddingbee.com/6322.WeddingCake.jpg.resize
- Sand & Sea: http://www.weddingandcakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sea-themed-wedding-cakes-2.jpg
- SandCastle: http://www.bridalwave.tv/sandcastle1.jpg
- SandCastle: http://www.carlocksbakery.com/pics/cakes/sandcastle.jpg
- SandCastle: http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake797.jpg
- Sea Turtles: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DvQd7FfQXT4/SJyP929rOQI/AAAAAAAAA28/58eycseYhRI/s400/rickwork2888+copy.jpg
Have you found any fun beach themed wedding cakes that I didn’t show here? Let us know what you’ve found and include a link below in the comments so that we all can check it out!
Share us with the World!
If this post has been helpful to you, please use the buttons below (Email, Facebook, “+1,” etc) to share this information with the world. You’ll be doing other destination wedding brides a huge favor by making sure our little tidbit of information shows up in their search!