|The “Lobster Trap” Card Box at
our destination wedding!!
One of the problems Kelly and I struggled with when planning our own wedding was the Card Box. To be honest, I had totally forgotten that we needed to plan one of these for our southwest Florida destination wedding! I set to research what others had done, and didn’t come up with too many hits for “beach wedding” card box ideas. I was shocked – with all the destination wedding-related stuff out there, I thought for sure this would be a slam dunk! Nope!
Handcrafted Destination Wedding Card Boxes:
- Shell-Covered “Lobster Trap” – I was surfing the Internet and stumbled onto these lobster traps (undecorated and decorated). Basically, you can add as much decorative flourish as you need, and choose shells/etc that coordinate with your wedding theme colors in order to have a cute, highly original, and “beachy” card box. This is actually the type of box we chose to go with (shown above)!
- Treasure Chest – I found a birch treasure chest on Etsy that seemed rather weathered and beachy. A few shells or starfish and you’d have a card box that adds a little bit of quirky, pirate flair to your reception. This could also be toned down to be more basic, with a simple seahorse or starfish attached to the top or side. The possibilities are endless here, and kudos if you can find a box made of authentic driftwood!
- Sand Castle – Turn that plain-old, boring square box into a card box sand castle. This may require some creativity, but you can definitely come up with a winner in no time. Just hunt Google for some ideas on sand castles until you find one you like!
- Weathered Lantern – If you can find a weathered, old lantern at an antiques shop, you can turn this into your card box. Just make sure one panel of the light opens and/or there is room to cut a card slot in the metal at the top of the lantern. You can also make this one coordinate with your colors by affixing some shells, starfish, or seahorse shapes tastefully on the outside. If you’re having trouble, you can find weathered lantern card boxes pre-made (although they’re generally pricey)!
DIY Card Box Ideas:
- Sea Turtle – Who doesn’t love sea turtles? Use the main shell as the storage area.
- Light House – Kudos if you can make the light work!
- Sand Dollar – A round box topped with a “Sand Dollar”… get it?
- Palm Trees – Talented with metal working? What about making a “palm tree” where you could attach cards to the palm fronds? Thinking something along the lines of those picture holders with the spirals on the end. A “beach themed giving tree” if you will.
Can you think of beach-themed card box ideas that I’ve missed? Did you have a unique card box at your destination wedding that you’d like to share with future destination brides? Leave some comments below!
Share us with the World!
If this post has been helpful to you, please use the buttons below (Email, Facebook, “+1,” etc) to share this information with the world. You’ll be doing other destination wedding brides a huge favor by making sure our little tidbit of information shows up in their search!